Thank you for your interest in Ocean Visions Launchpad!
In 2021, to support start-ups in the arena of ocean-based carbon removal, Ocean Visions created “Launchpad” to provide customized technical assistance to selected companies competing for the $100M XPrize Carbon Removal that needed further development, optimization and testing of their technologies. For these first six companies, we provided support by connecting them to mentors from within the Ocean Visions network. An example of this can be seen from this Q&A with Wim van Rees from MIT. Some outcomes for the teams from Launchpad included a) Building a scientific advisory board b) Finding a scientific collaborator for proposals to NOAA's NOPP program c) Identifying a location for a field trial with the help of the advisor's connections.
As we kick off the search for a second cohort of companies who will receive support for one year, we are expanding our invitation to all innovators working on ocean-based carbon dioxide removal pathways as well as those who are enabling or improving our understanding of these pathways. This includes innovators working on improving monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) of ocean-based CDR pathways as well as knowledge gaps identified in the Ocean Visions Road Maps such as developing in water tools for autonomous CDR operations or addressing engineering challenges to better deliver or measure ocean-based CDR (for example here, here).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO APPLY
- Applicants whose focus is on carbon removal must utilize an approach to carbon removal that uses the power of the ocean to capture and/or store the captured carbon dioxide in the ocean. Example approaches include, but are not limited to: ocean alkalinity enhancement, sinking of terrestrial biomass, microalgae or macroalgae cultivation and carbon sequestration, and electrochemical approaches.
- Applicants whose focus is on enabling carbon removal must clearly specify how their approach improves either the efficiency or understanding of ocean-based carbon dioxide removal
- Review of applications will commence shortly after the deadline (June 8th, 2023)
- Applicants will be evaluated based on the ideas and potential expressed in their application.
- In some cases, Ocean Visions may return to the applicant with additional questions.
- Shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit a detailed application and may be called upon for an interview
- All applicants will be notified of their status following the review process.
Thank you and good luck!